The so called "freemium" model is rolling the world. Games and apps on Google Play or App Store as well as classic popular gaming titles like World of Tanks, World of Warships, Crossout or so popular Fortnite in these days. All of these belong to freemium.
Freemium, a portmanteau of the words "free" and "premium", is a pricing strategy by which a product or service (typically a digital offering or an application such as software, media, games or web services) is provided free of charge, but money (premium) is charged for additional features, services, or virtual (online) or physical (offline) goods. The business model has been in use by the software industry since the 1980s as a licensing scheme. A subset of this model used by the video game industry is called free-to-play.
Monetization of these games is especially over in-app purchases via which players may get unique items and customizations to differentiate yourself from others. Because of minimum limits to entry (games are for free) and quality of these games, players are very engaged and willing to spend negligible amount of money in the games. Final revenues for companies belong these "free" apps and games are often far higher than it would be in a case of classic paid per licence model.
Free to play in a case of instant (browser) games
Instant games are a type of native games which are being loaded immediatelly in user's device, usually from cloud storage by using CDN service. These games run directly in a browser or any different installed application while they do not require any own installation and plugins. Games may use device storage for saving game progress and resources for offline running.
Instant games are monetized usually exclusively through ingame ads. From time to time there are various attempts to bring in-app purchases also into this market, however, without mass succes so far. Even Facebook failed 8 years ago with its Facebook credits. There is an expectation, that Facebook's next attempt to break through to this market will be via its private blockchain-powered stable coin.
It's 8 years from Facebook credit and the time is different now. Players are more used to use payments on internet and pay for playing, especially thanks to the mobile games market. Developer's today expect more monetization channels than ads only. That's why most platforms brought IAP (in-app purchases) to their SDKs to add developers implement additional monetization channel. You can find them on Kongregate, GameDistribution or just in GameArter.
GameArter's shared currency and IAP
Market of instant/browser games is specific. Games need to be quite small to achieve instant load. Due to this fact, general playing time and engagement is lower as well. On the other hand, players usually play more games.
GameArter's shared currency token, further GRT, is designed to benefit from current players behaviours in games and brings additional option for developers to increase user engagement and revenue in their games.
- Means of financial property transformations. Users usually achieve certain progress and get game property by playing games. This property is connected purely to the game they are currently in. With GRT, players may sell property received in one game for GRT and then use this GRT to buy property in a different game and boost their progress by this way.
- Means of reward. GRT is a way to increase user engagement from their playing. In addition to classic features powered by GameArter, developers may use GRT to reward players for playing their games, inviting friends, reporting bugs and use rewards related to wide variety of use cases.
- Game design schema. GRT in cooperation with other GameArter's features allows to create, generate and optimize game design for achieving the highest possible user engagement from distance, trough server, without need of any programming and rebuilding games.
- Simplified promotion. Developers may want to unlock game items and open the game for influencers to play it and show their viewers quality of the game. GRT is simple way via which developers can provide influencers enough money to buy all game items and show them to their viewers.
- Monetization channel Developers get revenue from all spent GRT emmited by exchange for FIAT currencies (GRT purchase).
Amount of released GRT coins is drived by GameArter's reward engine so developers do not need to count hard prices of items and rewards they should provide to players.
In a moment, when players do not have enough GRT to buy items / customizations / property they want, they can buy GRT via a gateway from their FIAT money. GameArter supports over 300 various ways to buy GRT through payment processor Xsolla.
GRT on web
In addition to games, GRT will be used also by websites. At the begining, GRT will be implemented as a native currecy for PacoGames.com gaming website. By using the GRT, users of the website will be able to disable ads, be rewarded for visiting the website, adding popular comments or participating in tournaments.
GRT from the business point of view
In first phase, there is no purpose to force users to buy GRT and pay for playing games. In fact, GRT is designed to be very cheap and intuitive to allow users start use it on daily basis. This is the way to make GRT as a common credit that they buy, if they need. Like for data or phone calling.
From the same reason, GameArter still uses only one currency. It is common to have classic coins and additional premium currency in games, like diamonds. In fact, GameArter has premium currency as well. The currency is implemented and ready to be used, but it's disabled for now untill its time will come. In that moment, this premium currency will become active also in all previous games.